Saturday 30 October 2010

untangling the past

held within my hand
the knot of troubles
lies tangled and heavy
like necklaces fallen in a heap
and I cannot breathe
with the pain of it all
and I hold them out to you
and sigh with frustration
and slowly and carefully
you show me how to loosen
the heavy knot
gently lifting each strand
until the tangled knot
begins to unravel
and each strand becomes
plain to see
with careful love
you choose a strand
and working gently
withdraw it from the knot
laying it safely aside
in a velvet box
and turning back to the knot
begin to work on yet another strand
from time to time
impatience fills me
and I yank savagely
at the whole knot
and it tightens once more
and tears of frustration fill my eyes
and fall heavily onto the knot
and you hug me and you smile
and at last I see
that your timing is perfect
and I stop striving
and I watch and wait
and slowly, so slowly
the knot of the past unravels
in your patient hands
and your ever present love
and the velvet box fills
with golden strands
and the knot grows lighter
and I can breathe once more


No comments: