Wednesday 18 August 2010

the view from the top

and another mountain
has been climbed
and another view noted
with disappointment
for the promised land
is still quite out of sight
and my heart so glad to have
made the top
is saddened to find
the view so little changed
and then I look back
and suddenly the view from the top
doesn't seem so bad after all
for looking back
I am made dizzy by the heights
scaled to reach this peak
and I am overwhelmed
by the changing scene
for slippery scree
and rockfaces craggy
and wooded ravines
and waterfalls rushing
and steeply rugged pathways
and too few ropes
mark the narrow way
conquered to get to this spot
and within my heart
gaping cracks are closing
and within my mind
new patterns are emerging
and I stand firm
at the top once more
and taking hold of grace
and breathing deeply of hope
I cast my eye
over the view spread before me
and begin to wonder
if it isn't time
to set off once more

No comments: